Monday, September 12, 2011

Apathy?

BUSY busy busy busy BUSY busy busy busy

Have you ever watched The Widow’s Might? If you have, you probably can hum along the melody to the "Busy" song. Soon after the townspeople beginning whispering "busy" and listing off their chores that must be done, the lone cowboy comes riding up. And then he sings (I forgot to mention–it’s a musical) the "Apathy" theme.

That is a bad description of the song, but it should give you the idea.

Business often leads us to apathy. You get so busy, you just don’t care too much about anything other than your busyness. Lately, I’ve been going around hearing "BUSY busy busy busy" in my head, while I’m going through a mental checklist: Write the paper and do the reading. Solve the problem and practice piano. Learn the verses and study 2 Peter. And then, the little cowboy (who I normally call my conscience), comes on stage and starts saying, "Apathy!" And I sigh, and try to get my priorities straightened out. I’m doing lots of good things; it’s not that I’m busy wasting time! But you can be apathetic even while you’re studying the Bible. You know how the conversation goes. It’s been a long day of school and you just sat down to study, and then your mom comes in and says,

"Are you busy right now? Can you help me in the kitchen for a few minutes?" You groan inwardly and attempt to smile outwardly. It’s a rhetorical question. Yes you are busy, and yes you will help.

"Um, sure...I was just reviewing a bunch of verses before I finish my homework." You try to say it cheerfully, but somehow a mildly sarcastic edge creeps in.

And I do help her for as long as she needs your help, and then, I dash back to the cards. Do you get the picture? I’m giving my mom the minimum. That’s apathy. I’m busy keeping up with everything else, so something is going to fall by the wayside.

By now, we’re all trying to keep up with a full school schedule, music or sports, church activities, and additional Bible Bee material. Talk about being busy! Maybe you’re even working part time and watching even more time get eaten up. You try so hard to do everything, but you just can’t keep up. Family time and helping around the house slips by unnoticed as the "busy apathy" sets in.

The purpose of the blog is to encourage each other and keep each other accountable in our studying...don’t get so busy with your studying that you become apathetic to your family!

Colossians 3:23-24–And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men, 24 knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance; for you serve the Lord Christ.

P.S. I know I have written several similar posts about busyness recently, but it is something with which I struggle. I apologize if my writing is somewhat repetitive!

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for the post, Abigail! I needed it...as I've noticed recently, that I've gotten so caught up in doing the Bible Bee (not that it's bad to work on, by any means!) that I haven't been helping around my home as much as I use to. I was reading "The $100,000 Word" and Daniel was talking about the same thing. Isn't it okay to stop playing with your little sisters for a few days, that way you could work on Bible memory more? NO. Can't I give up my morning pray? NO. Can't I stop talking with my older brother and sister as much so I can study more? NO. We still need to spend time with our family, even though we're busy.

    Okay, I'll stop rambling now :) Thank you for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, as soon as I saw the title of this post, I thought of the Widow's Might.....love that movie :).
    ANyways, thank you so much, Abigail. Pretty much the person you describe in this post is me...to the tee. THis is exactly what I needed to be reminded of. And thanks, Bethany, for your comments on it as well :). I struggle with the same things. It's not that studying for the Bible Bee is bad, but it shouldn't control our lives. We need to spend time living out the Word as well as studying it! I'm praying for you all! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I read the title I thought of the film also :)

    Yes, let's pray for each other like Hannah said...that we would live out the things that we learn from the Bible Bee.

    Have either of you read "The $100,000 Word"? I would highly recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. no, I have never read "The 100,000 Word"....yet. But I would love to soon. I think that I'm going to buy it at nationals. I've heard and meet Daniel Statton and have been blessed by his testimony!

    I will definitely be praying:).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yes, I would highly recommend reading it. I hadn't read it, till a few days ago :)

    You have actually meet the "famous" Daniel Staddon?! Wow...that's neat. A couple years ago (before I knew about the Bible Bee) I came across their family blog...and I enjoyed reading it. Well, a year or so went by and I stopped reading their blog. Then, when we heard about the BB my mom told me that someone named Daniel Staddon had won the first place Senior prize. I thought "Hmm...maybe that's the same person!" but then never thought about it again. Recently, I came across their blog. And lo and behold, it was the same person! Are any of them doing the Bible Bee this year? I would really enjoy meeting them, if they were!

    @Hannah - Did you make it into Semi-Finals last year? I saw a picture of the Semi-Finalists of last year, and thought I saw you. Just wondering :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I meet the "famous" Daniel Staddon (opps, I spelled his name wrong) at last year's Bible Bee. I don't know if they're coming to National's this year or not....we'll have to find out :). And yes, I did make it to semi-finals last year in juniors :).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I really hope they come...because I would really like to meet them!

    Congratulations on making it to Semi-Finals last year! Next year, you'll be a Senior, right? That means, we'll be Seniors together *smile*!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, next year I'll be in Seniors...so we'll be together - fun!

    ReplyDelete