Sunday, July 10, 2011

Be still

Have you ever made yourself a schedule and told yourself that you were going to follow it? Occasionally, I find myself writing them in fifteen-minute increments in notebooks to make sure a single minute isn’t wasted. I stick them on my bookshelf. My message board has lists of friends I want to email and phone numbers I need to call. My booklist is a large stack of dusty books sitting under the list on my bookshelf. There is so much to do and so little time!

Be still and know that He is God (Psalm 46:10).

Be still...be still...be still...

Quiet your heart and seek His presence in the still. Don’t be so worried about putting in enough hours studying Bible Bee that you forget to listen to His voice. Have you ever waken up while it’s still dark and begun to pray? Sometimes God speaks in the smoke and earthquake (Exodus 19), but other times it’s the still, small voice you hear only when you are still and listening (1 Kings 19:12). When you are the only one awake in your house, and the only other noise you can hear is the gentle pattering of summer rain on the roof, can you quiet your heart enough to hear Him? Are you so busy studying that you forget to listen?

Some days, studying feels like a complete mental exercise. I feel burned out and overwhelmed. I quickly flip through every card in the stack and say them till the words jumble together. I’m not listening. Slow down and be still.

Mark 1:35 “Now in the morning, having risen a long while before daylight, He went out and departed to a solitary place; and there He prayed.”

Jesus knew to seek God in the quiet solitude and there commune with Him. We need to follow His example. Quiet your heart and be still. Know that He is God.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks, Abigail, for this post...I needed to hear that right now :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Abbie! I know exactly what you mean about rushing through cards...a lot of the time I feel like I'm racing to see how fast I can say them rather than seeing how much I can learn from them. Thank you for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was longing for this while at my grandma's house. I just felt an urgent need to come home and be still, listening to him speak to me. I felt so disconnected from him at her house....like there's this spiritual warfare trying to keep me from thinking of what God wants me to think about, that others don't understand... Thank-you for the post. It was encouraging to hear you say what was on my heart...only in my situation, it has to do with being home and being able to focus on what He's called me to do. Now I'm home and so glad about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for posting this, Abigail! It was...was very convicting and encouraging. I needed to hear this...now. I have done that today (and the past couple of days, for that matter), because of so many things on my mind. It is a good reminder to slow down. It is better to listen to the voice of God and it take more time, than to whiz through it taking way less time.

    We need to slow down. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete