Monday, February 6, 2012

Why I'm not memorizing the Bible

Yes, you read that correctly. I’m not being sarcastic–it is possible for Bible memory to be a stumbling block for Christians.

Bible Bee opened my eyes and taught me something about myself: I was capable of memorizing huge portions of Scripture. Before 2009, I struggled getting through my one verse a week for school. After the 2009 National Bible Bee, I began memorizing verses, chapters, books "for fun" during my personal devotions. I learned so much and developed a love for Scripture unlike anything I had ever known. Yet at the same time, I began falling into the dangerous trap of turning Bible study into an academic exercise.

Eager to learn more, I continued to keep a vigorous memory schedule during the months I was not participating in Bible Bee. Last year, as a 10th grader, I made it my goal to have the entire New Testament memorized by the time I finished college. I figured out approximately how many verses I needed to learn per month and fulfilled my quota. If I continued my plan, I would have all but two epistles memorized by the end of the school year. I could definitely do this.

The past few weeks have been extremely busy for me. School and extracurricular activities all managed to coincide their deadlines. In between a few hours’ sleep and a cup of coffee, I continued my memory work, loving the Word but struggling to keep up.

My mom had warned me before not to speed-memorize the Bible. We’re supposed to meditate on it. Feed on it. Not just slurp it down. I justified my method, feeling that the constant read, memorize, review that I did every single day was anything but speedy.

Then, I realized I had fallen into the trap. Bible memory was becoming something I do. It’s not supposed to be that way. It’s supposed to be God working in us, not cramming facts into our minds as a mental exercise. God still worked in me as I crammed the facts, but I was so busy "just getting through" that I didn’t leave time to listen to Him.

Here are a few "traps" that I fell into:

  • I love challenges.  I enjoy training my mind to do something new and love the thrill of accomplishing it.
  • I’m being a good Christian.
  • We’re supposed to meditate on His Word day and night, so the more words knew the better. Forget the quality as long as there’s quantity.
  • I want to do well at Bible Bee. Memorizing more would give me a better foundation when competition season starts.
  • I do everything fast (well, not when I’m driving. Apparently I’m too slow then...). Talking, reading, playing piano–everything’s best at top speed. Naturally, Bible memory also became a game to see how quickly I could memorize.
  • And, of course, there’s that little giant called pride. It makes me feel good to know how devoted I am to the Bible (obviously there’s a problem with that. It’s called self-justification. It doesn’t work. Memorizing words won’t save you, but meeting the Word will).

I’m going to continue studying and memorizing Scripture, but I think I will change my goal. Rather than aim for memorizing huge hunks of the Bible, I’m going to slow down and focus on each individual verse. I’ll keep reviewing old verses; hopefully, I will fully learn them! Oh the depth of the riches–who can fully know the glorious mysteries of Christ? When Bible Bee starts, I’ll do more new memory work again, but for now, I think I will slow down and learn to quiet my heart and meditate on the wonder of God. Eventually, I would like to have the whole New Testament–or, Lord willing, the entire Bible–memorized, but for now, I will slow down and take it verse by verse, step by step; always pressing toward the goal, but not being consumed with the prize; running steadily with endurance rather than running quickly and stumbling.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you in so many ways! Thanks for your thoughts....those "traps" are soo prevalent in my life as well :). Evaluating memorization goals/motives is something I constantly have to do. Thanks for sharing, Abbie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for writing this, Abbie. Your honest thoughtfulness is an encouragement and challenge to me, too (though perhaps in areas other than Bible memory! :) ). I'm thankful to the Lord for both the mind and the heart He's given you, and for the ways He is continually growing both. I will be praying for you as you start your new memory approach!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post, Abigail! What you said is so true. We easily fall into "traps" which stunt us in our spiritual growth. Like so much in life, it's not the quantity that matters, but the quality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Abigail. I am also trying to slow down more and focus on the words and the Word.

    I was just reading a similar post on Desiring God that some of you might be interested in: http://www.desiringgod.org/blog/posts/study-the-word-for-more-than-words.

    ReplyDelete