Saturday, February 26, 2011

The peace of God...

Recently, my parents and I have been having lots of talks about what I'm going to be doing this summer...I have so many wonderful opportunities, that sometimes it gets to be a little overwhelming! About a week ago I thought we had everything figured out...I knew where I was going to go, when I was going to go, and how I would get there. Finally the summer was planned, and I could check it off my mental list...yet there was one thing we had decided I should do that I just wasn't sure about. I wanted to do it, but at the same time something inside me held back.

Have you ever wished God would just show you His will plainly? Have you ever wondered why we have to seek God's will, instead of Him showing us simply? This is where I was at this morning. After talking to my parents, and pacing my room thinking (yes, I do that:), I went and did what I should have done to begin with...got down on my knees, with my Bible on the bed in front of me, and started praying. Then I opened my Bible, and asked God to please show me something I could hold on to...something I could spiritually cling to for strength and wisdom! I went to John 14:27...

"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give to you! Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled..."

I kept on reading through chapters 15 and 16. Jesus speaks to the disciples telling them that He is the vine, and that they cannot bear fruit unless they abide in Him. He talks about how much the Father loves them, and tells them not to be surprised when the world hates them, for "if they were of the world, the world would love it's own. Yet because they are not of the world, but Christ chose them out of the world, therefore the world hates them." He tells them about His death and Resurrection, and then says He is going away to His Father. Jesus knows they will not understand, and so tells them He is sending the Holy Spirit to help them! And after ALL of this, verse 33 comes. "These things I have spoken to you, that in ME you may have peace..."

Peace comes only in Christ! Philippians 4 says, "But in everything, by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God, and the PEACE OF GOD will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus!" What I do this summer isn't the biggest thing ever, but I do know God has a plan for it! I also know that if I'm seeking His will, He will make clear what He wants me to do, and give me His peace through it all!

Lord, peace IN YOU is enough! In fact, it's more that enough...it overflows and never stops! All I have to do is see that it's there...that you offer it to me! Jesus, give me the willingness to be actively seeking your will, and in the meantime I'll be content with your peace! Thank you that it passes my comprehension, so that I can be more in awe of you!

"And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also your were called in one body, and be thankful!" -Colossians 3:15

1 comment:

  1. Looking ahead to the future (even if it's only a few months!) does get overwhelming! Isn't it wonderful that God is omniscient and knows everything before it happens? The "peace of God" has to be one of the most beautiful phrases in the Bible!

    Thank you for this post, Emily!

    ReplyDelete