Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Having a heart for people

I've been reading through the book of 1 Corinthians in my devotions this past week. I've been learning so much - I could share a lot ;). One of the many things that has stuck out to me is Paul's heart for people. He heart's desire was that the Gospel would be proclaimed and that people would be saved. He wanted to edify, strengthen, and build up Christians. This theme was very clearly portrayed in chapters 9 and 10. In chapter 9 verses 1-23, Paul shares how he put others and their need for salvation and spiritual growth before his own personal needs. He willingly gave up his "rights" so that the Gospel could go forth more effectively. He humbled himself and had no regard for his own standing but was always reaching out to every type of person so that he might win them for the Gospel. In chapter 10 and verses 23-33, Paul tells that, in order that people would grow spiritually and be built up, he did not participate in some activities; even though they were lawful activities. Paul's heart's desire was for people. He didn't seek his own profit, but the profit of others (10:33).

Wow! I mean, Paul really had it all together in this area! So, what does this mean for me? The application is found in chapter eleven verse one: "Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ." Here are some things that I found that I need to apply to my own life:
  • I need to be seeking the benefit, growth, edification, and salvation of others. Do I truly look for ways that I can bless and build up those around me? Do I genuinely search for ways that I share the Gospel with unbelievers? Do I intentionally seek to strengthen believers in their walk with the Lord?
  • Even if a certain activity isn't wrong for me to do, I need to consider how it will edify and be helpful. "Let no one seek his own, but each one the other's well-being" (chapter 10:24). Do I do what I do just because I want to? Just because I can? or Do I sincerely seek other people's well-being and how I can edify and strengthen them?
  • My heart's desire needs to be "How can I edify and build up others?" not "How can I serve and make myself more happy?"
  • In witnessing, I need to humble myself and not worry about what how funny or foolish I might appear. I need to "lay down my guard" and give up my "rights" so that I can effectively share the Gospel. For me, I know that I struggle with worrying about what other people will think about me. "Will they think that I'm not 'cool'? "Will they think that I'm foolish?" I need to love people more and fear people less. I need to cultivate true compassion for the lost. I need to care more about their souls than what they think about me. What really matters; their souls? or my status?
So, these are few things that I've been learning lately. I hope that you've been able to glean some helpful insights and encouragement from it as well! Grace be with you all!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Hannah!

    The verse about seeking someone else's well-being (10:24) is really convicting. I need to be working on having a heart for others, too--this post was a very good reminder!

    ReplyDelete