Monday, May 30, 2011

Ready, set, go!

The day after tomorrow, Bible Bee starts! We’ve counted down the days till we can study again. We’ve guessed which book they’ll use for the sword study. We’ve told all our friends and family ages 7-18 to sign up. And now, it’s almost time!

We are obviously preparing for the Bible Bee competition. Some people have critiqued Bible Bee as being a mercenary way to get kids to study the Bible; maybe that is partly true for some people. But once you’re in the Bee, you know that the real prize isn’t just a check or a trophy–it’s having the Bible hidden in your heart! We all know that is the real prize–don’t forget what we’re working towards!

While I think that it’s wrong if the only reason someone is doing the Bible Bee is for a prize, I think that making Bible memory a competition is a good thing. The Bible often compares the Christian life as someone working towards a prize. Beyond the level of a physical prize, the Christian runs for a spiritual prize...the “imperishable crown.” Whether or not we are recognized by the world as the winner of the Bible Bee, we can have confidence and joy in the competition because we all win when we learn the Bible.

1 Corinthians 9:24-27–Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.

Hebrews12:1-3--Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. For consider Him who endured such hostility from sinners against Himself, lest you become weary and discouraged in your souls.

2 Timothy 4:7–I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

Let’s not loose focus of our goal. We all know what the prize is; I pray none of us are distracted from it by anything else! Use the Bible Bee competition as a starting place in the race. We’ll all have to keep running afterward, but we can use this summer study time as an opportunity to get a flying start. Finish the race!

1 comment:

  1. I can not wait for it! This will be my third year, and each year I'm just as excited.
    Great post.

    Blessings,
    Natalia

    ReplyDelete