Monday, May 23, 2011

When black and white are turned to grey

Have you ever felt that there was no right answer? That the black was mixed with white, and the white with black, and everything was in that grey area called Conscience? I love when the Bible is clear black-and-white and the answer is obvious, but when all the Scripture passages just say that whatever your conscience allows you to do is right, what then?

My mom used to tell me a story about making decisions. One day, a man who lived in a hilly country was looking for a donkey. He needed to buy a donkey that would help him safely manoeuver the steep slopes. The first man he came to said that his donkey would take him up to a yard of the edge without ever letting him fall. The next man said that his donkey could carry him within a foot of the precipice in complete safety. Then, the man came to one last donkey seller. That man looked him in the eye and said, “Sir, my donkey will keep you as far from danger as she can.” Which was the smartest choice? The one farthest from danger. Take heed lest you fall (1 Corinthians 10:12).

On the other hand, God places unique situations in our lives to teach us how to turn them around and glorify Him. Something that’s grey could be turned to a brilliant shade of white. It could be that “open door” you’ve been praying for. If it’s all a matter of conscience, do you seize the day and turn an awkward situation into something amazingly God-glorifying, or do you stay home and play it safe?

The only passages I could think of (please tell me if you know of any others!) Are from Romans 14 and 1 Corinthians 10:

Romans 14:12-16–So then each of us shall give account of himself to God. Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather resolve this, not to put a stumbling block or a cause to fall in our brother’s way. I know and am convinced by the Lord Jesus that there is nothing unclean of itself; but to him who considers anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean. Yet if your brother is grieved because of your food, you are no longer walking in love. Do not destroy with your food the one for whom Christ died. Therefore do not let your good be spoken of as evil.

1 Corinthians 10:22-24, 31-33–All things are lawful for me, not all things are helpful; all things are lawful for me, but not all things edify. Let no one seek his own, but each one the other’s well-being. Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. Give no offense, either to the Jews or to the Greeks or to the church of God, just as I also please all men in all things, not seeking my own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.

What do you do?

I'm struggling with some decisions...could you please pray for me?

4 comments:

  1. Yes, Abigail, will be praying!
    Much love,
    Ashley
    "Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ashley! It really encocurages me to know you're praying!

    I think I'm going to go ahead and take advantage of this opportunity...I've been praying that God would open a door, and I think this might be it. I don't want to lose any opportunities to be a light, so even though this might not have been the opportunity I was expecting, if it's the one God's given me, I thank Him for it! Thanks for the verse, too--if this is the good God wills me to do, it would be sin to avoid it.

    Please be praying now that God will give me the strength and courage to open the door and tell others about Him!

    Joyfully in Christ,
    Abigail

    ReplyDelete
  3. i just prayed for you, Abigail!

    ReplyDelete