Monday, March 21, 2011

Are you a slave to time?

Do you realize that a lot of us have an idol? Its face is often the first thing we look at in the morning. We wear its image on our wrists every day. We let it rule our lives. Do you know what it is? Time.

I have always had a problem with time. I’ve called it “my own.” Don’t you dare touch my time! After all, if there is anything that is undisputably mine, it’s my time, right? Yes...if I hadn’t given my life to someone else. But I have, and my life–and therefore my time–is no longer mine. I gave my life to God to do whatever He wants with it. I told Him to take me and use me for His plan. Yet, while saying I’ve given my life to God, I’ve demanded that He still let me keep my time. It doesn’t work that way. If I gave God my life, that means I also gave Him my time. We probably won’t be using every minute of our time doing things that are obviously for God (going to church, helping out ministries, teaching the Bible, etc.), but God has given us enough commands in the Bible that we can use every moment of our lives doing His work! There are commands that require action like honoring our parents and loving our neighbor. We are giving our time to God when we obey our parents and fold the laundry or when we put aside our own work to help our neighbor. Then there are the other commands that tell heart conditions and attitudes that will determine if our time is used in a Godly way. How about 1 Corinthians 14:40–Let all things be done decently and in order, Colossians 3:23–And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men, and Romans 12:11-12–not lagging in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord; rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer? If we are diligent in the tasks that God has given us and if we do them heartily to the Lord, we’re giving Him our time! We can give our time to God just by doing our daily tasks with a heart and an attitude that glorifies Him!

Ephesians 5:16 says to redeem the time because the days are evil. The days are evil, full of foolishness and sin; therefore we must redeem them by using them for God’s glory. That is how we redeem the time. When we’ve taken our time and laid it at His feet, we really give our lives to God. When every moment is given to Him and all things are done through Him, we can really be of Him. As Christians, our lives should be just that–of God.

To Him be the glory forever!

3 comments:

  1. Very good post, Abigail! You're right, we can become slaves to time so easily. Thanks for the great reminder to surrender all - including time; every moment of it - to the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thoughts, Abigail! What a wake-up call; I hadn't realized until now that time is something I often still claim is mine, when in reality it is not.

    Thanks for helping to renew my mind!

    Soli Deo gloria!

    Jennifer Renee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great point, Abigail. I hadn't really thought about it that way before. So true!

    ReplyDelete