Wednesday, March 9, 2011

When PEOPLE are BIG.....and God is small

I've been reading this book called "When People are Big and God is Small" by Edward T. Welch. I am in the middle of it, so I still look forward to what else I'll learn through it. Thus far, though, I've learned a lot and I highly recommend it to anyone. Let me tell you why.

There is a universal problem that may be found under many different labels such as: peer pressure, codependency, and people-pleasing. Biblically, it is known as the fear of man. The fear of man elevates people to the position of God. People become our god, the ones that control us. This fear does not necessarily mean to be afraid, but means to be controlled by and to hold in awe.

Does this sound familiar to you? I know for me, I can very easily be controlled by other people. I want to be accepted, loved, applauded, and thought well of of by people. I can so very, very easily try to conform to the ways of others so that I don't look "weird" and "out of it". I can be controlled by what I think others might think of me. What man thinks of me can become my standard for all of life, the way I talk, react, think, dress, and everything. This is a very real struggle for me and, I'm sure, that to some extent, you struggle with too.

Okay, so I have this problem. So what? It won't do me any good to know that I struggle with this problem (more correctly put; sin) if I don't know how to fix it. But, that's the good news! I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me! So, what's the solution? Well, in "When People are Big and God is Small" Edward Welch gives seven steps to overcome the fear of man in our lives. Here they are:
  1. Recognize that the fear of man is a major theme both in the Bible and in your own life.
  2. Identify where you fear of man has been intensified by people in your past
  3. Identify where you fear of man has been intensified by the assumptions of the world.
  4. Understand and grow in the fear of the Lord. The person who fears the Lord will fear nothing else.
  5. Examine where your desires have been too big. When we fear people, people are big, our desires are even bigger, and God is small.
  6. Rejoice that God has covered your shame, protected you from danger, and accepted you. HE HAS FILLED YOU WITH HIS LOVE.
  7. Need other people less, love other people more. Out of obedience to Christ, and as a response to His love toward you, pursue others in love.
As I've worked through these different steps, I've realized that it's when we become consumed by our fleshly desires to be loved, accepted, and applauded that we become controlled by the fear of man. What we need to do is get our eyes off of what we "need" (i.e. want (we don't really need it)) and on to our God. Focus intently on Him, His perfect attributes and loving, merciful acts to mankind. Then, out of awe for who He is, out of gratitude for what He has done, and out of obedience to His perfect law, love others. Don't be controlled by them and expect them to fulfill your "needs". Be controlled by the fear of the perfect, holy, just, loving God. Find your delight and purpose in Him.

This is MUCH easier said than done...and the truth is that we are all not perfect. We will still fail, mess up, and sin. Perfection awaits us in eternity (aren't you excited?!;)). But while on this earth, we will, at one time or another, make people bigger than God. That's the bad news. The good new is that we can be forgiven! We can confess and get back up to fear God above all else. Although we never will be perfect, we need to keep striving towards that end. Ask God to give you the desire to grow in the fear of the Lord. Ask Him to change your heart! Search the Scriptures, mediate on them, and embed the truths contained within into your life. Ask God to make your consuming passion to seek Him first. We cannot do this on our own. We need God to change our hearts as only He can do. Resolve to do nothing in your own strength, but to do all through Christ who gives us strength.

So, ask yourself, "In what ways (if any) do I make people bigger then God?" and, once you got your answer, I challenge you to start looking for ways to please and bring delight to God, our Maker, Sustainer, and Savior. Put God in His rightful spot; above all else.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for your post. I found that book very helpful and challenging! I hadn't realized how much the fear of man has impacted me! Thanks for the reminder for the fear of God to be more prevelant in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Hannah! I'll have to look that book up sometime! I struggle with fearing man rather than God too...I think I may need to print this up and hang it on the wall=) Maybe then I'll remember that God is the only who deserves to be feared!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I put this on my "books to get" list right away! This is a topic that is so closely associated with God's glory. When we fear man, we are not glorifying God - which is what He created us to do. Thanks for posting, Hannah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this, Hannah! I've been wanting to read that book for awhile... now I'll have to!

    ReplyDelete