Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Obedience

In my devotions right now, I'm studying Esther. I don't know about you, but when I know a Bible story backwards, forwards, and upside-down, and then go to study it, I catch myself quickly glazing over the truths I know so well! I begin to space off, and not really pay attention. As I started to study Esther, I was DETERMINED! I would NOT glaze over the book, and then come to the finish unchanged, and not knowing anything I hadn't known before!


Thus I began my study of Esther, asking God to "open my eyes that I may see wondrous things from Your law!" He did.

Over and over obedience stood out at me as it never really had before! I think it comes back to passing over things I know well. I have been taught to be obedient for my ENTIRE LIFE! It is ingrained into the depths of me, and will never leave! But do I really know what obedience looks like? Do I obey?

I was specifically challenged with Esther's obedience to Mordecai! She was so submissive to Him...it's a good reminder to not just obey, but have a submissive attitude! Although Esther's obedience is amazing, I want to focus on someone far more important...the One Whose obedience gave us LIFE! Of course, I'm talking about Jesus!

I was talking with a friend a couple weeks ago, and she told me about something she does in her devotions. It sounded really neat, and so I started doing it too! At the end of my reading, I write down ways God loves me though the specific passage. Then, I write down ways I can love Christ back. With some passages it's easy, and with others it's more difficult, but I don't get up until I've written down both. It makes me think, and is an encouragement! I'm continually reminded of God's love for me!


All throughout the book of Esther I've been reminded that Jesus loved me by being obedient! In the garden of Gethsemane Jesus said, "Not my will," a true sign of obedience to His Father. In Philippians 2 Paul says Christ, "became obedient to the point of death, even the death of a cross!" Wow-- Christ's obedience saved my life! Paul goes on to say, "Therefore, God has also highly exalted Him, and given Him the name which is above every name, that AT THE NAME OF JESUS EVERY KNEE SHOULD BOW... AND THAT EVERY TONGUE SHOULD CONFESS THAT JESUS CHRIST IS LORD TO THE GLORY OF GOD THE FATHER!" It is because of Christ's total obedience I am going to heaven and will one day share in His glory! He went above and beyond to show us that obedience is worth it! It is worth it.

When our little siblings see us, do they see obedience to our parents?
When people at church see us, do they see our obedience to authority?
When God sees the motives of our hearts, (which is all the time!) does He see obedience?
Do we obey?

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the challenging post, Emily! I love your question at the end, "When God sees the motives of out hearts, does He see obedience?" Very thought-provoking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Emily!
    I've taught several Bright Lights lessons on honoring your parents recently...obedience is such a challenge! The Phillipians 2 passage is one of my very favorites--we have a wonderful example to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a really good idea to write down how God loves us and how we can love Him back... I'll have to start doing that! Thanks alot Em!

    ReplyDelete
  4. actually the comment above was by me, but Sophie was logged in... just saying:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought that sounded like you...:)

    ReplyDelete