Thursday, March 17, 2011

God; The Source of All Good

I love Puritan prayers. Some of you might be familiar with the book "The Valley of Vision". It is a collection of Puritan prayers. They are all so beautiful and encouraging. I was reading through a few of them this morning and this one really stuck out to me:

O Lord God, Who Inhabitest Eternity,
The heavens declare Thy glory,
The earth Thy riches,
The universe is thy temple;
Thy presence fills immensity,
Yet Thou hast of Thy pleasure created life,
and communicated happiness;
Thou hast made me what I am, and given me what I have;
In Thee I live and move and have my being;
Thy providence has set the bounds of my habitation,
and wisely administers all my affairs.
I thank Thee for Thy riches to me in Jesus,
for the unclouded revelation of Him in Thy Word,
where I behold His Person, character, grace, glory
humiliation, sufferings, death, and resurrection;
Give me to feel a need of His continual saviourhood,
and cry with Job 'I am vile';
with Peter, 'I perish',
with the publican, 'Be merciful to me, a sinner'.
Subdue in me the love of sin,
Let me know the need of renovation as well as
of forgiveness,
in order to serve and enjoy Thee forever.
I come to Thee in the all-prevailing name of Jesus,
with nothing of my own to plead,
no works, no worthiness, no promises.
I am often straying,
often knowingly opposing Thy authority,
often abusing Thy goodness;
Much of my guilt aries from my religious privileges,
my low estimation of them,
my failure to use them to my advantage,
But I am not careless to Thy favour or regardless of
Thy glory;
Impress me deeply with a sense of Thine
omnipresence, that Thou art about my path,
my ways, my laying down, my end.

Each one of the prayers found within the book are wonderful and I thought that you would be encouraged with this one as well as I was!
Grace be with you all!

3 comments:

  1. We read from Valley of Vision a lot too! The Puritan prayers always seem to fit whatever situation you're in. Thanks for posting, Hannah--it was very encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was definitely an encouragement...I'm sure I'll come back and read it again tomorrow morning:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Amen" to that!

    ReplyDelete